4.25.2007

poverty

so....if you know me...then you know that i have a heart for the poor. you know that they're my peeps.

and so american idol is all about giving back tonight, and they're showing all kinds of footage that looks like some of the places i've been and people i've seen and worked with. it's so easy to sit in my cozy little apartment with my new furniture and not think about what the rest of the world is going through.

sometimes my heart just longs to give everything up and go. go where... i don't know. i sometimes question if counseling here is what i really should be doing. granted...the population i work with is definitely not middle or upper class. but sometimes my heart strings get tugged when i see the faces of little kids that just want so desperately to be loved and to be taken care of. what real good is counseling when there isn't any food or clean water or access to medicine?

will there truly ever be an end to poverty?

1 comment:

Team Burton™ said...

Had we given each poverty-stricken family $50,000 a piece instead of implementing Lyndon Johnson's War on Poverty, things would be a lot better than they turned out.