- you are valuable as a woman because of your nurturing and relational capacities. as a culture, we value independence and autonomy.
- you are created in the image and likeness of god. god is male.
- you represent moral and spiritual purity. you are the sexual object to more than 14 million readers of porn.
- you need to be submissive, patient, and supportive in your family life. why didn't you leave your battering husband? you must, at some level, like the violence.
- you, as woman, are to be respected, cared for, and protected. a woman in raped in the u.s. every 1.3 minutes.
- you need to be protected by an intimate male partner. 1/3 (to 1/2) of all female murder victims are killed by their husband or lover.
- you are a welcome, valuable, and full member of the church. your vocation is to support the work of the church from behind the scenes--not from the pulpit.
- the church supports and empowers justice. the church says for women to be silent and submissive and disbelieves women who report abuse.
more women stuff...
so, i am still reading that book, and i still really like it. it just points out so many of the inconsistencies that exist in society. there was a whole page of double-binding messages about women in our society...